LOGANSPORT — The impending closure of the South Bend juvenile detention facility in about three weeks will not affect the Logansport Juvenile Correctional Facility.
In fact, Mark Harmon, program director for the Logansport facility, said a plan to make Logansport the main male juvenile facility in the state is on the back burner.
“The plan is no longer being considered, at least not immediately,”
Harmon said. “It may occur sometime down the road if the need for consolidation arises, but at present time, the plan is on the shelf.”
Rumblings that the Indiana Department of Correction would take over buildings on the Logansport State Hospital grounds have been circulating since the summer of 2010. Proposed plans surfaced in a staff email last August that called for the state to take control of three vacant buildings and build another that would house about 200 juvenile offenders.
The governor’s office and state hospital officials met last August to discuss the plan.
The state has four juvenile detention centers: South Bend, Logansport, Pendleton and Madison, which is a female facility. Last month, the state announced it would close the South Bend facility about July 1. Many of the 76 South Bend juveniles will be moved to community-based programs.
A call to Doug Garrison, DOC chief communications officer, was not returned Friday.
The Logansport Juvenile Correctional Facility consists of two units — the intake unit on High Street and the treatment unit on the hospital grounds.
As of Friday, Logansport was housing 128 juveniles at the state hospital facility and 46 at the High Street facility, Harmon said.
• Jason M. Rodriguez is news editor of the Pharos-Tribune. He can be reached at 574-732-5117 or firstname.lastname@example.org.